Things you can do to support your immune system include:
- Get enough sleep - while sleeping, your body produces and releases cytokines – a protein that targets infections.1
- Exercise regularly - physical activity prompts antibodies and white blood cells to travel throughout the body more quickly, ready to identify illnesses.2,3
- Minimize stress - over time, increased cortisol levels can have a negative effect on several parts of the body, including the immune system.4
- Keep up to date with all vaccines - vaccines are one of the simplest, most effective things you can do to help prevent and/or reduce the severity of the illness.
Interested in learning additional tips? Learn more here.
Are you feeling under the weather heading into the winter season?
When you’re feeling unwell, it should be simple to get a diagnosis and possibly a prescription. Don’t worry, with access to Global Telehealth5 through Cigna Envoy® and the Cigna Wellbeing app®6, you can talk to a licensed doctor just about anywhere in the world by phone or video chat.
1. How sleep affects your immunity. Sleep Foundation. https://www.sleepfoundation.org/articles/how-sleep-affects-your-immunity. Updated April 22, 2022.
2. University of California, How Obesity Can Rewire the Immune System and the Response to Immunotherapy – and How to Change That. https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2022/03/422511/how-obesity-can-rewire-immune-system-and-response-immunotherapy-and-how-change. Updated March 30, 2022.
3. Exercise and immunity. Medline Plus. https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007165.htm. Reviewed January 29, 2022.
4. Chronic stress puts your health at risk. Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20046037. Updated July 8, 2021.
5. Telehealth services may not be available in all jurisdictions. In general, to be covered by your plan, services must be medically necessary and used for the diagnosis or treatment of a covered condition. Not all prescription drugs are covered and prescriptions are not guaranteed to be written. Providers are solely responsible for any treatment provided and are not affiliated with Cigna. Not all providers have video chat capabilities and video chat may not be available in all areas. Telehealth providers are separate from your health plan’s provider network.
6. The downloading and use of the Cigna Envoy or the Cigna Wellbeing Mobile App is subject to the terms and conditions of the App and the online store from which it is downloaded. Standard mobile phone carrier and data usage charges apply.
This information is for educational purposes only and is not medical advice. Always consult with your health care provider for appropriate examinations, treatment, testing and care recommendations.
Products and services are subject to availability and may not be available in all jurisdictions and are expressly excluded where prohibited by applicable law. Terms and conditions may apply. In the U.S., Cigna Global Health Benefits® group medical and dental plans are insured or administered by Cigna Health and Life Insurance Company. In the U.S. and Canada, group life, accident and disability plans are insured or administered by Life Insurance Company of North America. In Canada, group medical, dental, vision, and evacuation plans are insured or administered by Cigna Life Insurance Company of Canada. Employee Assistance Programs are administered by or through Evernorth Care Solutions, Inc., and Evernorth Behavioral Health, Inc. or affiliates and contracted companies. In other jurisdictions, products and services are offered by or through Cigna Global Insurance Company Ltd. or affiliates and contracted companies. Products and services may not be available in all jurisdictions and are expressly excluded where prohibited by applicable law. The information on this site is only a general description of benefits. All insurance policies and group benefit plans contain exclusions and limitations. Please consult your licensed agent or contact Cigna for product availability, costs, and complete details of coverage. The Cigna name, logo, and other Cigna marks are owned by Cigna Intellectual Property, Inc.